Monday, March 24, 2008

Reading by Research

Here is a habit that I have started and stuck with for the past few weeks. I try to start every morning by reading the Bible. I have tried this in the past and have not been very successful. I have tried daily devotions and they just don't work for me. They don't hold my attention. So, what I have done is actually started READING the Bible. Not just reading little tidbits here and there, but actually ready the whole story. Here is what I do. I start by thinking of something that I want to know more about. I got started after I heard a lesson about David and Goliath at a Council Meeting. So the first thing I did was re-read the account of David and Goliath. That peaked an interest in me to learn more about Saul, which has now lead me to starting with 1st Samuel and reading through Second Kings. In my daily life if something happens that peaks some curiosity, I write it down in a research list. Then, when I am through with my current romp, I go to my list and pick a new subject. For me this is working out great. I actually look forward to reading every morning and miss it when I am unable to do it for some reason. In addition, I am finally learning something.

No comments: