Monday, March 3, 2008

I'm back!

Sorry for the long pause between post over the last couple of months. I am in one of those periods in your life when you know you have too many commitments, but you are not sure how to focus on the most important things. What are the most important things? What I have discovered is that you can convince yourself that just about anything is important and is part of your mission. As an example as a volunteer fire fighter I am convinced that being a trained responder is important. I think that is really true. However, being part of the political climate of the Fire Department is very time consuming and draining. I convince myself that the two duties, the action side and the political side are one in the same. But, are they really? The world doesn't need more talk about rescue, they need to count on rescue when it is needed. In my case the Fire department in my town existed for 150 years before I came and will probably be here long after I am gone. Can I make a difference? By responding to calls and knowing what to do when somebody needs help - Most definitely. By getting into the middle of political situations - maybe, today, but what about in 10, 20 or 50 years again maybe.

I think the same can happen in the church. I convince myself that being on the church council is key to my faith development, but is it? I am starting to think that it is not. At least it is not a key success factor. It may be a help with the added Bible Study and Discussions on church growth. But, being on council on it's own will not get me any closer to being a Disciple of Christ. In fact, if it can become an obstical to that goal if it takes time away from doing things that get me closer to the goal.

So this is why I have not written in awhile. I have been struggling with what is important and what is not. I have to say that I have not answered the question but I am getting a little closer. I think you will see in some of the upcoming posts that I am at least getting closer to finding a direction. Then I will have to prune my schedule and many of my commitments.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

No comments: