Thursday, January 24, 2008

Is money our god?

So the other day I was in a conversation at my church over what some of the perceptions are over some new technology that was installed and we are in the process of implementing. The conversation was all over the map and at one point it was explained to me that the people that have the negative perceptions are the ones who give the most to the church and the reality of the situation is that those are the ones we have to listen to. Now in this case I know that "give the most" did not mean time or talent it meant money. It was at that moment that I had a feeling like I have had at no other time. It was as if Jesus was right there in the room telling me something different. He was telling me that reality is about him, not money. At the time I just bit my tongue and moved on.

After thinking about it for awhile it occurs to me that what they were really saying is that the god of this church is money and everything has to revolve around how we get more.

Why is it so hard for us to focus on Jesus? Why is it that when a church member lodges a complaint we jump write into customer service mode. Why don't we simply ask the person if they have prayed about the complaint and if so what was the response? Why don't we explain that when we are doing God's work it can be messy and we would love their help? Now I am not just making excuses. There were some things that could be improved, but there always will be. And the correct reaction would be to ask what is being done to correct the issues and is there anything I can do to help. But to just say, wow this person is complaining and they give a lot of money so they must be right, is nowhere near what it means to be living in the Kingdom.

No comments: